Sunday, August 14, 2011

CONAN and TARZAN



I saw this drawing by Tom Yeates over at " SINGULAR POINTS " A quite excellent blog if I may say. I just had to share. It calls to mind a pitch that I had shopped around to DARK HORSE a few years ago.

A team up of the two characters in one great adventure. I was in the second phase of my plot synopsis and drawing up some plate designs and character sheets. I was told that there will absolutely be no CONAN team ups ever not even a one shot elseworlds type hypothetical derision. In keeping with CONAN's roots and staying true to the REH vision...I completely understood. It's ok with me. But I finished my plot anyway. It is an unfinished piece but I have two issues laid out on paper and mayhaps one day I will share it with ye. It just depends on whether or not the good people would like to see it or read it.

It does of course involve time travel...of a mystical nature and a fight between our two heroes and reincarnation and mirrors and sub human ape men ( which is a big part in both authors lexicon of savagery. ) But in order for me to share or even finish my outlines...there would need to be a demand. So...in this case if anybody is interested in reading my story just let me know here in the comments. If I see a particular number of people. I'll share with you all.

In the mean time enjoy the great artwork of Tom Yeates and visit " Singular Points" http://singular--points.blogspot.com/ trust me its a great and interesting blog. Love Mikeyboy

EDIT:  On a related note, there is in fact a Conan/Tarzan crossover from Turkey that's been kicking around for a long time, although it's not entirely original (some of the artwork was "borrowed" from JB via SSOC, and possibly elsewhere)...it's a fairly long story and Turkish is tough to translate, but one day I hope to post it around here in English.  And I've gotta agree about Singular Points, definitely one of my regular stops on the mighty interwebs.  Great stuff Charles!  Cromsblood

9 comments:

HitAdjacentAlly said...

Ummm.... YES. Two of my favorite characters in a vs./teamup? Hell yeah I want to read that.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

When I contacted Thomas Yeates about doing the drawing, all I told him was that I didn't want the characters fighting each other. He sent back this cool buddy shot. This hangs above my desk and every time I look up and see it I think, "What the heck is Conan pointing at?"

Tim Knight said...

Who WOULDN'T want to see a Conan/Tarzan team-up?

rozum said...

Sounds like a cool story to read. I'm no writer but I also have a good story idea that involves my two favorite things: Conan and Bigfoots. The story would be about Conan adventuring in Pictland and he would have encounters with different Pict tribes. The Bigfoot story would come into play when Conan finds out that the Picts know about this race of hairy giants that live in the forest with them. It's based on the Native American stories about Bigfoots. I haven't decided if the Bigfoots should be mean and try to kill Conan along with the Picts or if the Bigfoots should be nice and help Conan fight the Picts but I think there should be one scene where Conan gets captured by the Bigfoots. Anybody got ideas for this story?

Mike D. said...

well...Conan and the picts don't really get along. So..Conan has to save the Big Foot clan. Slaying picts is his speciality!

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Hmm, I guess the upcoming Conan and Groo comic doesn't count. When I interviewed Tim Truman for Blackgate, I asked him if we might ever see a Conan/Grimjack team-up and he said much what you did, Mikey, that Darkhorse had nixed any team-ups.

Mike D. said...

Folks...that last part about the Conan / Tarzan Turkish comic book was added by CROMSBLOOD and...we can't wait! Thanks Blood!

Anonymous said...

I've often considered such a match-up. Up close, Conan's weapons fare better but in an open environment, Tarzan would take it. And that's keeping it fair. Mind you, Tarzan in the novels had military experience and access to firearms. But keeping it civil, these guys would make an interesting pair of foils :) I can see Tarzan rolling his eyes as Conan goes off to get drunk and nail wenches.

Fafnir said...

This is essentially what Roy Thomas did in the original conan the barbarian comic. amra was a tarzan-esque character that thomas did as an homage to tarzan. i'm not saying i dislike the idea, it just seems a little familiar to me.