Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Jason Momoa to Write His Own Conan the Barbarian Sequel!


According to articles from /Film, The Mary Sue and Crave Online, Our latest Cimmerian, Jason Momoa is writing his very own sequel to the upcoming Conan the Barbarian. Talk about devotion to a character!

Here's the interview from Crave Online:

CRAVE Online: Are you signed on to do another [Conan]?

Jason Momoa: I am, as long as people go out and watch [the first one], you know what I mean?

CRAVE Online: Yeah. Is there a story you'd like to do for the next movie?

Jason Momoa: I wrote it.

CRAVE Online: Did you really?

Jason Momoa: Yeah, so we're waiting to see if they'll accept it.

CRAVE Online: Is it original or did you adapt it from something?

Jason Momoa: It will mostly be... It's character-adapted, because I really want to get into more of the mythical creatures, you know?

CRAVE Online: Oh yeah.

Jason Momoa: We wanted to go there [in the first one], but having Clash of the Titans, and coming out against that, we wanted to put the budget into some other things. We just couldn't hit... We couldn't get to that level with [...] the visual effects and stuff. [...] I don't want to give anything away, but we already have our Conan, really it's about the villain, what that villain is going to extract from Conan, and where as an actor I want to go with Conan. You know, no one's going to know what I want to do better than me.

CRAVE Online: Touche!

Jason Momoa: Exactly. [...] We want to incorporate three different things, because obviously you don't just want to do the [existing] story, because the fans already know it. You want to keep them on their toes. So, I think we have a good lock on it. Also, I feel it's beautiful... How many actors get to go in there and go, "I'm part of the writing process?" and care that much about the character, because he is a fan himself? It's great. You know some people go like, "It's great, I'm going to be in my trailer." I want to @#$%ing make a great Conan movie.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha. REALLY would like to read that script

Dominic said...

I don't think we know enough about Momoa's writing skill to say whether this is good or bad; time will tell. Personally, I'd rather see a good action writer take on the character (WEHT Rodriguez's Red Sonja?); imagine a Conan film scripted by Tsui Hark or Chan-wook Park. Still, I'm glad that anyone's doing the job, so if that means a Momoa-written sequel, so be it.

The Grey Elf said...

He's wrong. The fans want to see a #Q@%$!#$% ROBERT E. HOWARD ADAPTATION, for crying out loud.

Mike D. said...

Yes...more REH. But I am interested in seeing what Mr. Momoa has to offer. BUT...a true and true , through , word for word adaptation of any REH CONAN yarn is what we long for.